child of God, wife, mother, recovering anorexic who longs to see the beauty in herself that she sees in the world around her

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

body appreciation day 1 - my hands

I'm specifically looking for things my body does well.  I choose to dishonor my body in so many ways, punishing it for not being a certain way, for not responding a certain way or for responding in any way against what my mind desires.  But in the spirit of the new year and having a desire to get past this once and for all, I want to honor my body.  I'm not sure what that looks like for future posts but for today, it looks like this.....

I am so grateful that I have two functional thumbs!  You don't know how much you use your thumbs until you cannot use one of them for two weeks.  For the first of those weeks, I couldn't even use my right hand at all.  So today, what I appreciate about this temple that God gave me is my thumbs.  The right one is still tingling when touched on one side and doesn't have full strength back yet, but still, I can use my hands. 

My hands have held my husband.  My hands have comforted my children.  My hands have wiped away tears.  My hands have cradled my newborn children.  My hands have helped to teach my children to write.  My hands let me express my feelings on paper or on the computer.  Today my hands will shovel my in-laws sidewalk to keep them from having to go outside in the cold.  My hands have offered kindness to many.

No comments:

Post a Comment